Sunday, August 25, 2013
Sorry about not having an update in the past two weeks or so. I had a wedding last weekend in Albany, New York and then pre-service this past week. I will give you more of an update tomorrow with classroom pictures and a "slight" rant about the ridiculousness that was pre-service week at Wilson!
Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Today's blog post is about organization for instruction. Last year I had to float to FOUR different classrooms. It was hell on Earth, not going to lie. I had to be super organized with all my papers because if I wasn't I was going to leave someone in one of those classrooms, never to see them again.
One of the best places to shop for all of your organizational needs is The Container Store. I am a wee bit obsessed with them. It doesn't help that the nearest CS to my high school is right next door.
This expanding file is awesome for carrying papers to and fro work. I can make tabs for "To Grade", "To Enter" (into our Edline) and "To Hand Back".
These open top holders are perfect as my classroom tubs. This is where students hand back things and where they can find their graded work. I keep this in the back of the classroom. I number the students during the first week of school so that they know which folder they are.
What do you all think? I am always looking for great organizational tips so please share some of yours below in the comments! :)
Monday, August 12, 2013
I am linking up with Blog Hoppin' this week for Teacher Week 2013! I am super excited for school to start (Pre-service week at least) next Monday. I feel super prepared and ready for this upcoming school year. Plus I get to finally teach 12th grade, along with 9th grade. Anyways, on to the linky:
So today the topic is "Let's Talk About Me". I usually am not a fan of talking about myself other than school related things, but I will give this a shot. We need to list 10 things about ourselves, preferably something that you don't know already?
1. I am a die-hard Chicago Bears fan. Good or bad, I stick by my boys!
2. I never kept a journal until this year. It helps me unload my thoughts before I go to bed so that I don't keep going over and over the thoughts. Stress/Anxiety reliever ftw!
3. Another stress and anxiety reliever, and totally not healthy, is my hookah. I feel like the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland whenever I smoke it. Doesn't help my asthma but at least it keeps me from throwing myself off the balcony every now and then.
4. My favorite book in the entirely world is Wuthering Heights. It hurts my soul when people say that they hate that book :(.
5. I am obsessed with autumn and pumpkins. I want to get married in October so I can have pumpkins everywhere.
6. I am also obsessed with corgis. I love their short little bodies and big personalities. I cannot wait until I get one! And those floppy earsssssssssss <3.
7. This year I am not only teaching English but also History after school. I am literally going to be teaching for 12 hours. Thank the lord for extra pay!
8. I bought a grill just so that I could have bratwurst during football season this year.
9. I missed highly effective rating by 10 points this past year. It was my 2nd year of teaching.
10. I am getting back into baking finally! I made my first batch of marble mint chocolate chip cupcakes this weekend!
So what are you waiting for?! Go link up! :)
Thursday, August 1, 2013
It's that time again. A Currently for August :( It feels like yesterday that I was closing up my classroom! Where has the summer gone?! This year is going to be awesome. I have my first 12th grade English class and I am so ready to rock it. I am not a fan of 9th grade curriculum and kids, immaturity is a major pet peeve of mine. I can't wait to show everyone that 12th grade is where I belong!
Make sure to check out Farley's amazing blog for all of the currently's!
Listening: Maury...I can't get enough of this show during the summer. Before my grandfather passed away, we used to watch this show together. We are kinda weird :-p
Loving: That my grade level teams are FINALLY getting together to plan the first two units! I have been worried about not having enough time to plan.
Thinking: That I have been so focused on my 9th graders that I haven't paid any attention to 12th grade. I am meeting with 12th grade team tomorrow so that is helpful for this goal!
Wanting: This summer break was way too short :(.
Needing: I am so upset that I can't get into my classroom because of summer school and the other teacher I share with has the keys!
Back To School Must-Haves: 1) Teacher Planner: I have to stay organized since I have 3 preps. I need to make sure that I know everything that my students are doing for each unit.
2) Post-it notes: The first few days of class we do a lot of anchor charts and class rules with post-it notes. I also like to create parking lots so that students can ask questions.
3) Positive Attitude!: I know I am sad that the vacation is over, but I love to start off with a happy-go-lucky attitude to get the kids excited about English.
What are you waiting for?! Go link up with Farley so I can check out your August Currently's!